The math department has worked hard to create a program for students with
interests from the purely theoretical to the highly practical. The percentage
of math majors at UR is among the highest at any university. In addition, we
have a large number of double majors.
In planning your schedule please see an adviser in the mathematics department.
Also see the
Career Planning Guide
for information on why a math degree is a valuable credential for business as
well as academics, where to apply for jobs, and advice on resume writing.
Link to Statistics
• An Overview of the 4 Math Majors.
- Students often find that they already have the courses
they need for the math minor.
- Combining Mathematics with Statistics.
- Preparing for a career as an actuary. Actuaries design insurance
policies, and the pay is very high at the top levels.
- Mathematics is playing an increasingly important role in the social sciences.
- This program allows University of Rochester undergraduates to pursue
a career in teaching and to earn a master's degree from the
Warner School in a special 4+1 pattern of enrollment.
(The master's degree is required for permanent certification in
New York State).
- Several majors in the Mathematics department require additional
advanced courses with substantial mathematical content. You can find
information and a list of qualifying courses here.
- All Math students must fufill the writing requirement.